Monday, September 03, 2007

City Life: Overheard at Balboa Theatre/Superbad

Man in line after paying for movie ticket: "Hey, where's the restroom?"

Young, hip, weary ticket guy: "See those two signs there?" He gestures to his right.

Man in line: "Oh, you mean those huge signs that say 'Restrooms, men and women'?" He ambles off. Woman with him looks at me and giggles in embarrassment.

Young, hip, weary ticket guy (to me): "Yeah, we keep the restrooms at the end of a GIANT maze to confuse everyone." He artfully rolls his eyes.

The Balboa Theatre is an older movie theatre located in the Outer Richmond out by 35th Avenue. Some days might be sunny, but the nights always seem to have it shrouded in fog. I don't mind driving out there since it's just on the other side of GGP from my apartment. Parking can be a bit of a pain, but at least you can find it.

***
Superbad (2007)

Dir. Greg Mottola

Recommended. Superbad doesn't get its own separate entry. I liked it. It was stunningly crude in parts, particularly the language, but I have to admit getting a little thrill from it all. I laughed out loud many times, but I had seen "King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters" less than a half hour earlier and that was a much funnier, better film.

I really enjoyed their mega-nerdy friend Fogall and his "journey" in the movie. Great soundtrack (good soul music).

A fun time.

No comments: