Saturday, March 19, 2011

Writing Life: Dry

Time doesn't stop, the grains of sand keep slipping through old wavy glass. Desert wind blows, parching everything in its wake. I think to myself that I have so many ideas, whole universes of ideas, and they crowd round for the front row seats of my awareness yet on some days I'm dry as a bone and can't think of what to put down on the screen.

Stuff percolates underneath this bloodless surface fighting for exposure while I sit here at the keyboard waiting. What to write? What to write?

****
I don't usually experience writer's block but having decided to post regularly makes it difficult to come up with things to write about. Thankfully, this blog could be about anything but sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to come up with original content if I was just writing about movies, for example. The problem is I know I'd get bored quickly.

The biggest problem I'm having is it's necessary for me to stay focused on whatever interests/projects I have going on at any given time so it's difficult for me to think outside of those interests/projects. Blogging forces me to consider other ideas and other subjects to write about. This is good but somewhat uncomfortable since my mind really likes to stick with whatever has captured its attention.

You might think taking pictures would be an easy way around this dilemma. It can be but taking pictures requires effort as well. It requires me to leave my apartment and walk around. It requires enough focus to get into the "picture taking mode." Of course, carrying my camera around with me all time like I used to would make this process more natural.

When I first started blogging I had plenty to write about and posted almost everyday for a while. At the time blogging was my primary form of writing. Now I'm spending most of my time writing fiction and writing about my interests/obsessions as well as blogging. I'm still getting used to making this transition from one area of writing focus to three. I wonder if I can sustain this level of daily writing. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Huh. I hadn't thought about shifting my focus from one form of writing to three until just a few minutes ago when I wrote the previous paragraph. This is interesting. I guess the challenge will be trying to figure out how to sustain such schedule without burning myself out. It's a good thing I have great endurance for writing but now it's clear I'm going to have to find out what else I need to do to keep this up.

No comments: