Saturday, September 15, 2012

Writing Life: The Long Sentence


One of my friends from my writing group posted the following article on Facebook:

The Point of the Long and Winding Sentence, by Pico Iyer (L.A. Times)

Since it was after midnight when I read this article, I just had to try my hand at a long sentence.  My writing has been described as having short sentences, to the point.  Here's what I came up within a few minutes time:

We went out with a bang, with a squeal or a big noise but regardless of the noise and the clamoring and tripping over stones and piles of neatly cut two by fours, we paused, over-awed and amazed, staring up at the sky at the impossibly perfect vision, an inhuman light shining above us, otherworldly, occult, insane to some eyes, for there above us, by only a few feet above our heads, hovered someone in ghostly white shimmering robes of almost fiery intensity, glaring out from its own light source, spreading and pooling itself into the diamond-laden midnight sky. (99 words)

Writing in this way for me feels unnatural.  I can't tell you how many times I wanted to lay down a period but I kept going linking words and phrases.  Commas too.  I like the sentence and I like that it could be used for the opening of a novel or story.  As I read it now I wonder about it.  Who is "we"?  And why are "we" making so much noise?  What is the "impossibly perfect vision"?  Ghost, UFO, Angel, something else entirely?  Are these people even on our planet and does Earthlogic even apply?

Maybe I'll write about it someday.

2 comments:

BelleXRose said...

I'm the total opposite to you and love, well, I have a terrible habit of writing in long sentences:) Love a good semi-colon! Very interesting read and agree that experimenting with different writing techniques and styles can only enhance and improve ones writing. Love your blog!

http://bellexrose.blogspot.co.uk/

Mock Turtle said...

Thanks so much for your lovely comment and compliments. Your blog looks like fun. I'm so envious that you've traveled to many more places than I have. Keep writing, enjoy your long sentences.

MT