Thursday, July 27, 2006

Dream I Had: The White City (first posted 6/18/06 on SF Life)

I have vivid dreams, but lately have not been able to recall them. Last week, however, I had an odd dream I can't get out of my mind.

I dreamed my parents and brother went on a trip around the world and I couldn't go at the last minute (crushing for me since I've always wanted to travel). I can't remember why I didn't go. When they came back, I was talking to my brother about the trip and he remarked that he had to wait in line for three hours at a museum in Tokyo and how much better it would have been if I'd been there. The next part of the dream had me looking at a world map and plotting out a course.

Then I was on a huge ship and looking at a big city as we were going by. It was a lot like San Francisco, but everything was white including the buildings. It was a beautiful, magical place. I realized I belonged there, but the ship wouldn't stop so I jumped off the boat and swam to shore. The ship was far from shore and the water was cold. Also, I'm not a great swimmer and I was wearing about four coats throughout this dream for some reason so I was feeling really bulky. I kept swimming and swimming. I kept getting more and more tired and afraid I wouldn't make it. Finally, just when I thought my strength was going to give out, I put my foot down and made contact with the ocean floor. It turned out I was on the edge of a huge drop off and the rest of the way was only three feet deep. The City was still far off, but I was able to walk the rest of the way. As I walked, I slowly took each coat layer off as they were dripping wet and heavy. At this point I woke up, but I knew without a doubt I was going to make it even though I was cold and shivering.

Dream interpretation is very interesting to me, but I have not had much success with it. This one seems fairly obvious. I hope it's a good sign.

1 comment:

Mark said...
This comment has been removed by the author.