Sunday, November 18, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2012: 20,178 Words

It's the middle of the month and I'm still behind.  Nothing new there but it's difficult to stay focused and I'm not sure why at this point.  I could blame it on a lot of things, and believe me I've been trying to but the blame isn't getting me anywhere.

I just need to write, dammit.  That is all.

I'm loving my story a lot.  Usually by the middle of the month, I start hating the story and the characters.  I think about quitting and I wonder why I ever bothered but this story is different.  I feel like it's a slog to get it down but I'm really enjoying myself.  Weird.

I'm starting to wonder if this story will breaking the 50,000 word limit.  Like the last NaNoWriMo novel, this one might.

Unlike previous NaNos, I had a much better idea of what this story was about because I've spent a lot of time thinking about it.  I took some random notes on the way to the starting line and I knew there were several scenes that had to be included.  I knew how it was going to begin and how it's going to end.  Thing is the story is still managing to surprise the hell out of me.  For example, my characters keep having these fascinating conversations and for the scenes I knew had to be in the story, they're going differently than I expected.

This has all been great, of course, but it's still a slog.  Onward to the finish line...

No comments: