Friday, November 30, 2012

NaNoWriMo 2102: 51,342 Words!!!!



Yes, sports fans, I did it.  I kicked ass and took names.  I stared down my own procrastination, excuses, and I plowed through that shit.

It was difficult.  It was a slog.  I was about 10,000 words behind going into Thanksgiving weekend but I did well these last three days, only had to write 2,000 words a day.  For those of you wondering, 50,000 words is about 120 pages.  51,342 words is about 125 pages.

And it's not over yet.  I'm guessing I'm about two/thirds the way through this story.  I may rest tomorrow then I'll keep writing.  I'm going to start out with a goal of 1,000 words a day but if that turns out to be too ambitious, I'll throttle it back to 500 until the story is done.  And who knows?  Maybe this will be the start of a good writing habit.  Maybe I'll spend the rest of my life writing 500 or 1000 words a day and never look back.

It can be done, this novel writing thing.  But it's really hard work.  It's a commitment.  It's a big deal.  And I might not get anywhere with this stuff but who cares?  I'm going to keep writing.  When I'm on my deathbed, I'll be frantically typing on my tablet or laptop, trying to outrun Death's grasping hands for a few minutes longer while I lay down my last words.

Have a good weekend, everybody.  I know I'm going to.

No comments: